Let's Get Wellington Moving (LGWM) is a program aimed at improving and better integrating Wellington's transport networks. It is a joint initiative between Wellington City Council, Greater Wellington Regional Council, and the NZ Transport Agency.
The Mass Rapid Transit project would see connections between Wellington Railway Station and Island Bay, a dedicated public transport tunnel through Mount Victoria and changes to the existing tunnel, bus priority between the CBD and Miramar, and improved access to the Basin Reserve.
The connection from Wellington Railway Station to Island Bay has two proposed options, including:
- light rail from Wellington Station to Island Bay, and bus priority to Miramar and Wellington International Airport, and
- an electric bus system from Wellington Station to Island Bay, and bus priority to Miramar and Wellington International Airport.
The New Zealand Government, Wellington City Council and Greater Wellington Regional Council have endorsed the light rail as the preferred option.
Project scope details of the preferred option include:
- Light Rail:
- a dedicated line between Wellington Railway Station and Wellington Regional Hospital, and
- a shared line between Newtown and Island Bay.
- Bus lanes between Kent and Cambridge Terraces, through Mount Victoria and on to Wellington Airport and Miramar
- Changes to Mount Victoria’s tunnel structure, including:
- construction of a new tunnel for public transport, and
- repurposing the existing Mount Victoria Tunnel for active transport.
|2028||Expected Construction Commencement|
|Oct 2021||The preferred option and detailed designs for the Golden Mile project were selected. The preferred option 'Transform' will change the road layout to create 75 per cent wider pedestrian spaces, bus lanes and dedicated areas for people on bikes.|
|Nov 2021||The NZ Government released four options for the Basin Reserve and an extra Mt Victoria Tunnel projects for public engagement. The four options include a south coast light rail and new public transport tunnel, bus rapid transit to the sea and skies, south coast light rail, and south coast light rail via Taranaki.|
|Jun 2022||The New Zealand Government has announced a light rail network and a new public transport tunnel through Mount Victoria as the preferred option for the mass rapid transit project of the Let’s Get Wellington Moving program.|
|Jul 2022||Greater Wellington Regional Council and Wellington City Council have approved the preferred mass rapid transport option for the Let’s Get Wellington Moving program endorsed by the New Zealand Government.|