Northern Pathway will create a walking and cycling connection between Auckland City and North Shore. Northern Pathway consists of three sections:
- Westhaven to Akoranga
- Akoranga to Constellation Drive, and
- Constellation Drive to Albany.
Westhaven to Akoranga
- Westhaven to Akoranga is a five kilometre section starting in Westhaven, travelling across the Waitemata Harbour and continuing to Akoranga.
Akoranga to Constellation Drive
- The Akoranga to Constellation Drive section of the Northern Pathway will connect the other two sections. The planning of the section also includes connection with the local network of shared paths to help increase access to the walking and cycling network.
Constellation Drive to Albany
- This section of the Northern Pathway will deliver seven kilometres of shared walking and cycling path and has been developed as part of the wider Northern Corridor Improvements project.
|Nov 2019||ROIs Open|
|Feb 2020||RFP Open|
|Aug 2020||Contract Award: Westhaven to Akoranga section|
|Jul 2022||Expected Construction Commencement|
|2027||Expected Construction Completion|
|Jul 2019||SeaPath detailed business case released.|
|Nov 2019||ROI's for main D&C contracts were released.|
|Jan 2020||Auckland Harbour Bridge Shared Path business case was released. The NZ Government also announced NZ$360 million in funding for the project as part of the NZ$12 billion New Zealand Upgrade Program.|
|Feb 2020||RFP shortlist was announced for Westhaven to Akoranga section.|
|May 2020||Plans for Akoranga to Constellation Drive route and design were opened for public feedback, closing on 14 June 2020.|
|Jun 2020||The New Zealand Government announced the project's resource consenting process will be fast-tracked as part of the COVID-19 Recovery Bill, reducing consenting time to 45 to 70 working days.|
|Aug 2020||The contract for Westhaven to Akoranga section was awarded to to an Alliance comprising of Fulton Hogan, HEB Construction, Aurecon, McConnell Dowell and Freyssinet.|
|Sep 2020||The New Zealand Government announced that the Akoranga to Constellation Drive section of the Northern Pathway will run along the western side of the Northern Motorway (SH1), before crossing to the eastern side around Sunset Road.|
|Jun 2021||Following a re-evaluation of the New Zealand Upgrade program (NZUP) and confirmation of its preferred option, the funding for Westhaven to Akoranga section was increased to NZ$785 million from $NZ360 million. The funding allocation for the complete Northern Pathway project was not disclosed.|
|Jun 2021||The New Zealand Government announced the new preferred option for Waitemata Harbour crossing on the Westhaven to Akoranga section is a new standalone bridge, alongside the existing Auckland Harbour Bridge.|
Auckland Harbour Bridge Shared Path business case
SeaPath detailed business case
Project Update - 2021/06/04