The Auckland Rail Network Rebuild project comprises the upgrade of the Auckland rail network in preparation for the opening of the City Rail Link.
The City Rail Link (CRL), which is expected to be completed by the end of 2024, will allow even more frequent and convenient Auckland Transport electric commuter trains across the city.
However, to deliver these benefits work needs to be done to remove temporary speed restrictions and raise the existing network up to a modern metro standard.
The scope of work includes:
- removing the rail lines, sleepers and turnouts
- digging out the existing formation and ballast
- installing a new formation
- installing a new ballast
- installing new drainage formation to prevent future deterioration, and
- reinstalling the rails, sleepers and turnouts.
|Oct 2022||Project Announcement|
|Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency|
|Oct 2022||KiwiRail announced the project and allocated NZ$330 million to the project, with work to commence in early 2023 on the Southern Line between Ōtāhuhu and Newmarket and the Onehunga Line.|