The Upgrade comprises two components. The circa $435 million Stage One includes:
- duplicating track and building a new second platform at Bunyip and Longwarry stations
- upgrading 20 level crossing detection devices
- extending track duplication near Moe further east towards Traralgon
- improving drainage at Morwell River
- extending the crossing loop at Morwell
- a new second platform at Morwell Station
- duplicating nine kilometres of track between Morwell and Traralgon
- installing modern rail signalling and building a new second platform at Traralgon Station, and
- relocating train stabling at Traralgon.
Signalling upgrades between Bendigo and Eaglehawk to enable Bendigo Metro Stage Two is also procured along with Gippsland Stage One upgrades.
Stage Two of Gippsland Line Upgrade involves the $95 million duplication of the Avon River Bridge.
|Dec 2020||Construction Commencement|
|Jun 2021||Contract Award|
|Dec 2023||Expected Construction Completion|
These are funding contributions for main works of Stage One, as per 2021-22 Victorian Budget. The completed Stage Two of the project (Avon Bridge) had a total cost of $86 million.
|Procuring Agency:||Rail Projects Victoria|
|Successful Tenderer:||VicConnect: A consortium comprising UGL Limited, Decmil and Arup|
|Oct 2018||RPV announced that Downer EDI, CPB Contractors, and a Coleman Rail and Decmil Southern joint venture had been shortlisted for Stage 2, signalling the start of the Request for Proposal (RFP) phase of procurement.|
|Jul 2019||The contract for Stage One was awarded to CPB Contractors in July 2019.|
|Dec 2020||VicConnect, a consortium comprising UGL Limited, Decmil and Arup, was selected as the preferred contractor for the first stage of the project. Early works are scheduled to begin in early 2021.|
|Mar 2021||Victorian Government announced that VicConnect consortium has been appointed as to contractor for the main works of the project.|
|Jun 2021||The Victorian Government announced contract close on the main works contract with VicConnect consortium.|