Rankin Park to Jesmond is the fifth and final stage of the Newcastle Inner City Bypass. The 3.4 kilometre four-lane divided bypass would be built between Lookout Road at New Lambton Heights and Newcastle Road at Jesmond, to the west of John Hunter Hospital.
Specifically, the project would involve building:
- a northern interchange at Newcastle Road
- a southern interchange at Lookout Road
- an interchange providing access to John Hunter Hospital precinct
- upgrades to connecting roads, including Lookout Road, McCaffrey Drive and Newcastle Road
- three structures provided along the bypass to improve connectivity in the bushland for people and animals, and
- off-road provisions for pedestrians and cyclists including a shared path bridge over Newcastle Road at Jesmond Park.
|Feb 2021||ROIs Open|
|Mar 2021||ROIs Close|
|2021||Expected Construction Commencement|
|2025||Expected Construction Completion|
The 2020-21 NSW Budget allocated a total $853 million over the four years to FY2023-24 for the Newcastle Inner City Bypass from Rankin Park to Jesmond and the Pacific Motorway extension to Raymond Terrace, including $20 million for the Newcastle Inner City Bypass in FY2020-21.
|Procuring Agency:||Transport for NSW|
|Successful Tenderer:||Design - Aurecon|
|Nov 2016||The Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) was put on public exhibition between 16 November and 16 December 2016 and submissions were received by Roads and Maritime Services (RMS). The subsequent Submission and Preferred Infrastructure Report was finalised in June 2018.|
|Feb 2019||The Department of Planning and Environment approved the EIS along with deeming the project State Significant Infrastructure.|
|Apr 2019||Construction tenders closed for the shared path bridge and early works.|
|Feb 2021||NSW Government opened the enrollment process for Registration of Interest (ROI) for the design and construction of the project, closing on 26 March. Enrolled bidders will then be invited to submit ROIs.|
State Significant Infrastructure Assessment
Environmental Impact Statement
NSW RMS Forward Work Plan Major Projects 2023
Tender Notice - 26/02/2021