The first stage of the Suburban Rail Loop – SRL East – is a fully-tunnelled 26-kilometre metro corridor between Cheltenham in the South and Box Hill in the North. The line will include six stations, including new interchanges with existing heavy rail stations at Cheltenham, Clayton, Glen Waverley and Box Hill, with new stations at Monash and Burwood.
The Suburban Rail Loop Authority has separated SRL East into seven packages. Included in the scope of Works Package G is:
- tunnel fit-out works
- cross passage fit-out
- permanent high and low voltage power supply
- traction power
- track sectioning equipment
- communication systems
- network control, including signalling
- rolling stock
- depot and maintenance facilities
- backup network control and disaster recovery centre
- overall responsibility for systems integration, and
- operations and maintenance.