The Sydney Gateway will provide a high capacity connection from Sydney Airport and Port Botany to the new Westconnex St Peters Interchange once completed.
The project will be delivered in two stages (Stage One and Stage Three).
Stage One will provide a new road connection linking the Sydney motorway network at St Peters Interchange with Sydney Airport’s International Terminal and Qantas Drive. This will include:
- St Peters Interchange Connection – a new elevated section of road extending from St Peters interchange to the Botany Rail Line, including an overpass over Canal Road
- Terminal One Connection – a new section of road connecting Terminal One with St Peters interchange connection, including a bridge over Alexandra Canal and an overpass over the Botany Rail Line
- Qantas Drive Upgrade and Extension – widening and upgrading Qantas Drive to connect Terminals Two and Three with the St Peters Interchange connection, including a high-level bridge over Alexandra Canal
- Terminal Links – two new sections of road connecting all three Terminals, including a bridge over Alexandra Canal, and
- Terminals Two and Three Access – a new elevated viaduct and overpass connecting Terminals Two and Three with the upgraded Qantas Drive.
Stage Three is an arterial road connection and flyover to Sydney Airport’s Domestic Terminals, including improvements to existing roads to reduce congestion and improve connectivity to Sydney Airport Domestic Terminals and towards Port Botany. Stage Three will consist of:
- A new section of road and an overpass connecting Sydney Airport’s northern lands on either side of the Botany Rail Line (the northern lands access), and
- A new section of road, including a signalised intersection with the Terminal One connection and a bridge, connecting Sydney Airport’s existing and proposed freight facilities on either side of Alexandra Canal (the freight terminal access).
Stage Two is the Port Botany Rail Duplication, which is being separately delivered by the Australian Rail Track Corporation.
|Sep 2018||Project Announcement|
|Jul 2019||EOIs Open|
|Aug 2019||EOIs Close|
|Nov 2020||Contract Award|
|2021||Expected Construction Commencement|
|2024||Expected Construction Completion|
|Shortlist:||AirPortConnex (led by Salini Impregilo), a John Holland and Seymour Whyte Joint Venture, and CPB Contractors.|
|Successful Tenderer:||John Holland Seymour Whyte Joint Venture|
|Sep 2018||NSW Government reached agreement with Sydney Airport Corporation to purchase land required for the project.|
|Jun 2019||NSW Budget allocated $281 million towards the project. The Budget also noted $800 million of the estimated total cost for WestConnex would be allocated towards delivery of the project.|
|Jul 2019||KPMG awarded the transaction advisory services – legal contract.|
|Nov 2019||The Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) and Major Development Plan (MDP) of the Sydney Gateway project was combined and placed on public exhibition.|
|Dec 2019||Submissions on the EIS closed.|
|Feb 2020||Submissions for MDP closed.|
|Aug 2020||NSW Government fast-tracked planning assessment for the project under the Planning System Acceleration Program.|
|Aug 2020||The NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment also granted planning approval to the project.|
|Nov 2020||The NSW Government awarded the design and construction contract to the John Holland – Seymour Whyte Joint Venture.|
|Nov 2020||APP and SMEC awarded the Independent Verifier (IV) role for the Sydney Gateway Project.|
|Nov 2020||The 2020-21 NSW Budget allocated $2.2 billion over the forward estimates toward Sydney Gateway, including $382 million in FY2020-21.|
|Jun 2021||The NSW 2021-22 Budget allocated $2.1 billion over the next four years for Sydney Gateway, including $585 million in FY2021-22.|
Final Business Case Summary