Stage Two of Takitimu North Link project will involve construction of a new connection between Te Puna and Ōmokoroa. The scope of the works includes:
- a new seven-kilometre four-lane highway with median and side barriers
- seven kilometres of shared path
- overbridges at Plummers Point Road/Barrett Road and Snodgrass Road/Te Puna Quarry Road
- grade separated interchange at SH2 / Ōmokoroa Road
- connection to the Takitimu North Link Stage One, and
- retaining the existing SH2 highway as a local road.
Two of the highways lanes will potentially be managed lanes to prioritise public transport and vehicles carrying multiple passengers and/or freight vehicles. The project was originally planned alongside Stage One, but was deferred following a re-evaluation of the NZUP.
|Sep 2020||Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency and the hapū Treaty partners have formally renamed the two State Highway 2 New Zealand Upgrade Program projects. Under the renaming and amalgamation, the project previously known as Tauranga Northern Link from State Takitimu Drive Toll Road to Te Puna is now named Stage One of Takitimu North Link. The Stage Two of Takitimu North Link will extend that connection from Te Puna to Ōmokoroa.|
|Jan 2021||Ecological and ground investigations required for Stage Two of the project commenced.|
|Jun 2021||Following a re-evaluation of the NZUP, the project was deferred to the long term. Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency stated that the project will not happen by 2024 and is unlikely to occur before 2031.|
|Jul 2023||Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency published draft plans for the project for public consultation, closing 4 August.|
Project website - NZ Upgrade Programme