The proposed 300-megawatt power station will be located next to the existing Tallawarra A gas plant near Wollongong. The plant will be fully gas-fired upon completion with a plan to use green hydrogen for five per cent of the facility’s fuel mix from 2025. EnergyAustralia has stated it will consider increasing the proportion of hydrogen used in the facility after this time.
The Tallawarra B Power Station will include:
- a combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT) generator, capable of using a blend of hydrogen and gas
- a high-voltage switchyard, including transformers and switchgear
- transmission line connection to the existing 132 kilovolt (kV) network
- connecting gas pipelines, gas receiving station and gas conditioning station, and
- an emergency diesel generator.