The WA Government is undertaking improvements to the Tonkin Highway corridor. The Tonkin Highway is a 44-kilometre north-south highway and partial freeway in Perth, Western Australia, linking Perth Airport with the city's north-eastern and south-eastern suburbs.
The Tonkin Highway Gap project will involve upgrading the section of the Tonkin Highway between Collier Road and the Great Eastern Highway. It is expected that this will resolve a 'gap' in service levels and infrastructure between Gateway WA and Northlink WA.
The upgrades include:
- additional traffic lanes in each direction between Collier Road and Dunreath Drive
- new bridges over the Swan River, Guildford Road, Railway Parade, the Midland Line railway and Dunstone Road
- upgrades to the Guildford Road and Great Eastern Highway interchanges
- a new shared pedestrian and cycle path with bridges, underpasses and local connections, and
- noise walls, lighting and amenity improvements.