The WA Government is undertaking improvements to the Tonkin Highway corridor. The Tonkin Highway is a 44 kilometre north-south highway and partial freeway in Perth, Western Australia, linking Perth Airport with the city's north-eastern and south-eastern suburbs.
The Stage Three Extension project will extend the Tonkin Highway from Thomas Road, Oakford to the South Western Highway, south east of Mundjiong.
The project will include:
- 16.5 kilometres of four lane dual carriageway
- an upgraded intersection at Thomas Road/Tonkin Highway
- new intersections at Orton Road, Mundijong Road and South Western Highway
- a new grade separated interchange at Bishop Road
- bridges over the existing freight rail line and Perth to Bunbury passenger rail line and Wright Road
- a shared use path along the eastern side of the Tonkin Highway corridor, connecting to local path networks
- an equestrian and pedestrian / cyclist underpass under Tonkin Highway at Abernethy Road, and
- associated service roads and modifications to local government roads and intersections.