The Victorian Acute Mental Health Facilities will see new and upgraded facilities delivered across four sites in Melbourne and Geelong, providing 120 additional mental health beds in total. Separately, 24 'home-based beds' will also be delivered as part of the Mental Health Beds Expansion Program.
The additional 120 beds will be spread across the four facilities as follows:
- 52 beds at the Sunshine Hospital in Albans
- 30 beds at the Northern Hospital in Epping
- 22 beds at the Royal Melbourne Hospital in Parkville, and
- 16 beds at the McKellar Centre in North Geelong.
The facilities are expected to provide support to approximately 2,500 people per year and will include:
- internal courtyards for relaxation and exercise
- family visiting areas, sensory rooms and spiritual rooms, and
- increased consulting areas.