Queenstown Lakes District Council and Waka Kotahi - NZ Transport Agency are seeking to deliver a range of road and active transport upgrades in the Wakatipu area in New Zealand's central Southern Island. The key projects so far announced as part of this package are:
- Queenstown Town Centre Streets Upgrade
- Queenstown Town centre Arterial Road, and
- Wakatipu Active Travel Network.
Queenstown Town Centre Streets Upgrade
- Street upgrades are planned for Brecon Street, Rees Street, Beach Street, Park Street and Hotops Rise. The upgrades will feature improved walking and cycling facilities providing a continuous link from the Queenstown Gardens to the Gondola.
Queenstown Town Centre Arterial Roads
- Stage One: Melbourne / Henry Street
- Stage Two: Gorge Road to Hay Street, and
- Stage Three: Hay Street to One Mile Roundabout.
Wakatipu Active Travel Network
- This work aims to provide an integrated network of trails for walking and cycling that connects to public transport, providing an alternative to car use.
- The program is designed to connect key destinations such as Arrowtown, Arthur's Point, Kelvin Heights, Jacks Point, Lake Hayes Estate and Shotover Country, Fernhill, Frankton and Queenstown.
|Sep 2020||Project Announcement|
|Oct 2020||RFP Open|
|Nov 2020||Contract Award|
|Jul 2021||Expected Construction Commencement|
|Successful Tenderer:||Consortium of Beca, Downer, Fulton Hogan, and WSP.|
|Sep 2020||Project and funding announced. This includes NZ$90 million from New Zealand Upgrade Program, NZ$85 million through the ‘Shovel Ready’ fund towards our Town Centre Street Upgrades and Stage One of Arterial Roads program and New Zealand Transport Contribution of NZ$14 million for Wakatipu Active Travel Network. Queenstown District Local Council also commited NZ$25 million for Queenstown Town Centre Street Upgrades and NZ$16 million for Queenstown Town Centre Arterial Road.|
|Oct 2020||NZTA issued a Request for Proposal for the procurement of a consortium of designers and constructors to form the Wakatipu Transport Alliance with NZTA and QDLC, closing on 29 October.|
|Nov 2020||A consortium of Beca, Downer, Fulton Hogan, and WSP entered into an Alliance contract with Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency and Queenstown Lakes District Council to deliver the program of works.|